Add/Drop - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Which courses have waiting lists, and how can I join a waiting list?

For the Spring 2015 semester, we will maintain online waiting lists for certain courses during the Add/Drop period in January.  This function will only be available for:

- Writing Seminars

- Professional Skills courses (but not clinicals), and

- Courses that were full at the end of Spring 2015 Priority Registration (Sales; Harris) 

Please see: Law School Waiting Lists (PDF) for further information on how the waiting list process works.

How can I add or drop Spring 2015 classes?

Upper level law students in the J.D. Program can drop or add most of their Spring 2015 classes on-line, using Temple University's Self Service Banner (SSB) system. Non-J.D. and Graduate Law students have to contact their individual program offices to register for classes.

Courses that can be added or dropped on-line will show a CRN (Course Reference Number) in the first column.

Here are the steps for the on-line registration process. First, log in to TUportal ( using your AccessNet username and password, select Self Service Banner (SSB), then select the Student tab. Next, select the Registration tab, and then select the Add or Drop Classes function. When you are asked to select a term, choose 2015 Spring and click Submit.  You can now add or drop classes. In the CRN fields provided on the Add or Drop Classes page, enter the CRNs for the courses for which you would like to add or drop and then click Submit Changes.

When adding classes, be sure to use the CRN (Course Reference Number) shown in the first column of the course schedule, and NOT the course and section number. 

NOTE: You will know immediately if you are enrolled in the course or if it is full.

When is Add/Drop for Spring 2015 Law School courses?

The on-line Add/Drop process for JD students for the Spring 2015 semester will begin at 12 noon on Monday, January 5 and will end at 11:59 pm on Friday, January 16, the end of the first week of classes.

During Add/Drop, you not only do not use a PIN, but all upper level JD students are eligible to participate during the entire Add/Drop period.  You are not put into class groups for Add/Drop.

Clinical Courses, Guided Research and Practicums are not available for registration through SSB (see below).

For the Integrated Programs (ITAP and ITP), schedule questions may be addressed by email (see FAQs below).

What is SSB?

SSB stands for Self-Service Banner. SSB is a web based, real-time system that allows access to your academic and financial records. You can also use this system to register for classes. You can log in using your AccessNet username and password. SSB is available through TUPortal. You can access TUPortal from the home page or any other page on the Law School website. The TUPortal tab is located on the top right of the page.

Where can I find the Course Schedule or Schedule of Classes?

You can access the course schedule on the Law School website from the Current Students dashboard under Course Schedules or click on Course Schedules from the Quick Links menu.

JD students will be able to register for most of their courses on-line. Courses that can be added or dropped on-line will show a CRN (Course Registration Number) in the first column of the Course Schedule.  The CRN field will be blank for courses that cannot be added or dropped on-line. 

How can I find Course Descriptions?

The descriptions for each course along with pre-requisite requirements, if any, are available on the Course Schedule (see above) on the law school website. Click on the Course title to see the description and requirements for the course.

How can I find out if there is space available in a course?

For courses that you can add or drop using SSB, you can check if there is space available through SSB. Select the Course Schedule function. When asked to select a term, choose 2015 Spring and click submit. When the Class Schedule Search screen comes up, select Juris Doctor under Subject and then scroll down to the bottom and click Class Search. This will produce a listing of all JD courses and sections with information about the number of seats available.

If you want to narrow your search to a particular course number, then, in addition to selecting Juris Doctor under Subject, you can also fill in the course number in the indicated field. If the Law School course number only has three digits, use a leading zero. For example, if you are looking for course number 416, use 0416 as the course number. But if you are looking for course number 1016, you only need to use 1016.

What if I have questions about my registration in ITP or ITAP for the Spring? 

Students who are in ITAP will be automatically registered in the sections of Trial Advocacy II and Civil Procedure II that correspond to their current sections, and students who are in ITP will be automatically registered in the section of Transactional Practice II and Professional Responsibility that correspond to their current sections.  A table that shows the Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 schedules for ITAP and ITP is posted on the Law School web site under Current Students/Course Schedules.
If there is any question about your ITAP or ITP registration, contact Mary Beth Wilson at for ITAP or Kathleen Wilson at for ITP.  

How do I register for Introduction to Trial Advocacy (ITA)?

This Spring, students who have taken Evidence and are interested in a trial advocacy course but have not taken ITAP can take Introduction to Trial Advocacy (ITA).  This course involves a week lecture from 6:00 pm to 6:50 pm on Thursdays, and a skills section.  To register for ITA, just register for one skills section of your choice and you will automatically be registered in the lecture.

What if I want to add or drop a clinical?
While registration for Spring 2015 clinical courses has already occurred, there may be some spaces available in some clinicals.  Prior to adding or changing a clinical, we recommend that you contact Prof. Jennifer Bretschneider, Director of Experiential Programs, for information and advice about the clinical you are considering.  Once you have spoken to Prof. Bretschneider, please email Asst. Dean Wertheimer at   Please include your TU ID number and the title and course number of the clinical you wish to drop or add.
If a clinical is full, a waiting list will be maintained on a first-come, first-served bases and students on the waiting list will be notified if a vacancy occurs.  If you want to add a clinical and it is full, please email Asst. Dean Wertheimer and ask to be added to the waiting list.

How do I register for Guided Research or a Practicum?

Guided Research offers students an opportunity to 1) satisfy the mandated research writing requirement, 2) develop research, writing and analytical abilities through producing a single substantive research paper, and 3) work with a Faculty member in an area of the teacher's interest or expertise. Guided Research Serial offers students an opportunity to satisfy the mandated serial writing requirement through producing a series of short papers.
Practicums involve experiential learning projects that are actively supervised and evaluated by individual faculty members. In addition to a faculty member, a supervising attorney may be involved. Faculty will assure the educational value of projects and students will meet periodically with their supervising faculty to discuss and review their projects. Students may receive either 2 or 3 credits for a Practicum. A Practicum will not satisfy the Law School's writing requirement or professional skills requirement, however the supervising faculty member may seek a waiver in appropriate situations. Grading will be either a letter grade or pass/fail, at the discretion of the faculty member and will be determined at the time of registration for the course.

To register for Guided Research or a Practicum, first contact the full-time faculty member who will supervise your work to discuss the project. Once you and the supervising faculty member have reached an agreement regarding your Guided Research or Practicum, you will need the Guided Research/Practicum Authorization Form (see link below) to have your registration processed. This form contains further information regarding the mandatory standards for Guided Research and Practicums. Complete this form and have the supervising faculty member sign it. Return the completed form to the Registrar in Barrack 103 and an administrator will register you for the Guided Research or the Practicum. Note that the form must be submitted by the end of the Add/Drop period in the semester in which you propose to undertake the work.

Guided Research/Practicum Authorization Form

How do I register for Journals, Moot Court and/or Trial Team in order to receive credit?

To register for Journal credits, Trial Team, or Moot Court, please print the credit information Form (see link below), have it signed and then submit it to the Registrar's Office by the end of the Add/Drop period in the semester in which you proposed to undertake the work. Instructions for these procedures are available on the forms. NOTE - law journal members have the option to apply their journal credits to the fall or to the spring semester or to split the credits, for example, if you have 3 credits, you can place 2 in one semester and 1 in the other. Your editor will also have forms for you to process for your journal, so please process those forms in addition to submitting a Credit Information Form to the Registrar.

Law Journal/Moot Court/Trial Team Credit Information Form

Where can I go with questions or problems during Add/Drop?

For assistance with any questions or problems during add/drop, students may go to the Law School Registrar's Office in Barrack Hall (Suite 103) during normal business hours.

If you encounter any difficulties or have any questions about the on-line system or the add/drop process, please contact any of the following in the Office of Student Services, preferably by e-mail (be sure to provide your name, TU Id, time of occurence of the problem, nature of the problem, and course number, section number, title, and CRN of the course):

I have a "HOLD" on my record, can I drop or add classes?

If you have a "HOLD" on your record, you will NOT be able to add or drop courses on-line until the HOLD has been cleared from your record. There are many different types of HOLDs (Financial, Library Fines, Missing Degree Information, etc.). It is your responsibility to ensure that the HOLD is cleared from your record prior to the add/drop period. You can check your HOLD status on-line by selecting the Student Records tab on Self Service Banner (SSB). Please contact the Law School Financial Aid Office at or (215) 204-8943 if you have any questions about a HOLD.

I cannot drop or add a course. I am getting an error message. What does the error message mean?

The following are typical error messages in SSB:

Class restriction. Please select alternative section or course.
You are not eligible to register for this course with this class level (First year, second year, etc).
Required student cohort not met. Please select alternative section or course. (CHRT)
You are not eligible to register for this course as you don't have the appropriate program code and class year.
Closed Section. Please select alternative section or course
The course is closed or has reached maximum capacity.
Duplicate course with section " XXXX ". Please select alternative course.
You are trying to register for a course that you are already registered for.
You have exceeded the maximum allowable credits. Please see your advisor or academic office for assistance.
You have exceeded the maximum credits for your class year. Please contact Student Affairs Office (Barrack 103) for overload approval.
Course is mutually exclusive with "XXXX". Cannot earn duplicate credit. Please select alternative course.
You have already taken a similar course and cannot take this course again.
Prerequisite and/or Test Score Error
You do not satisfy all the pre-requisites to register for this course.
Time conflict with CRN "XXXX"
You are trying to register for a course in the same time slot.