March 22, 2016
The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL.
Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.
U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.
U.S. citizens should also:
- Follow the instructions of local authorities, especially in an emergency.
- Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
- Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
- Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
- Register in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
European governments continue to guard against terrorist attacks and conduct raids to disrupt plots. We work closely with our allies and will continue to share information with our European partners that will help identify and counter terrorist threats.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Italy Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in theSmart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact theU.S. Embassy in Italy located at Via V. Veneto, 121 00187 Rome, at +39 06-4674-1, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +39 06-4674-1.
- U.S. Consulate General in Naplesis located at Piazza della Repubblica and it can be reached at (+39) 081-583-8111; the fax number is (+39) 081-583-8275/081-761-1804
- U.S. Consulate General in Milanis located at Via Principe Amedeo, 2/10 and is open from 8:30am to 12:00pm for emergency services. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Consulate General in Milan is (+39) 02-290-351.
- U.S. Consulate General Florenceis located at Lungarno A. Vespucci, 38 and is open from 9:00am to 12:30pm for emergency services. After hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(39) 055-266-951
- U.S. Embassy to the Holy Seeis located on Via Sallustiana, Rome and can be reach after hours at +(39) 06-46741
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.
For country information on Italy, please visit travel.state.gov.