Prior to joining the Temple Law faculty on a full-time basis, Professor Carpenter served as Legal Director at Equality Advocates Pennsylvania, a public interest agency that provides direct legal services, education, and policy reform advocacy for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Pennsylvanians. Professor Carpenter also acted as an adjunct clinical instructor to Temple Law students in an LGBT-rights clinical course that she designed. Professor Carpenter began her employment at Equality Advocates Pennsylvania as an Equal Justice Works Fellow, working with victims of hate crime and domestic violence.
Professor Carpenter is a graduate of Temple Law, where she received the Beth Cross Award for commitment to underserved populations. Following graduation from law school, Professor Carpenter completed a clerkship with the Honorable Harold B. Wells, III of the New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division.
Research & Teaching Areas
Areas of Expertise
Selected PublicationsPublications and Media Appearances
- Member, LGBT Committee, Interbranch Commission for Racial, Gender and Ethnic Fairness, 2007 - Present.
- Member, National Center for Lesbian Rights National Family Law Advisory Council, 2005 - Present.
- Member, Lambda Legal Litigators' Roundtable, 2005 - 2008.
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association Committee on the Legal Rights of Unmarried Cohabitants, 2005 - Present.
- Board of Directors, National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, 2003 - 2005.
- Nominating Committee Chair, City of Philadelphia Police Department LGBT Liaison Committee, 2003 - 2005.
- Co-Chair, Philadelphia Bar Association Committee on the Legal Rights of Lesbians and Gay Men, 2002 - 2004.
- Planning Committee, National Lesbian & Gay Law Association Lavender Law Conference, 2001 - 2002.