Scholarships and Grants


Temple Law provides some scholarships to LLM students on the basis of need and academic merit. Such financial aid is awarded only in the form of a limited number of partial tuition waivers and cannot be used to cover living expenses. U.S. immigration regulations limit the scope and number of hours a foreign citizen on a student visa may work, so it is not possible to earn enough to support oneself while studying.

All decisions for financial aid are made after the March 15 application deadline, allowing the Admissions Committee to assess the relative strengths of each applicant. Students interested in applying for one of these partial-tuition scholarships should complete the Application for Financial Aid (which is part of the PDF Application) and include in their application a one-page statement with their applications explaining the basis for the request.

Fellowships and Grants

Students who require financial assistance should investigate alternative sources of financial support and should begin this process at least one year before applying to the LLM program. To assist in your search, we recommend the following resources:

  • Fulbright Fellowships from the U.S. Information Agency. As an example, the German Fulbright Commission has announced that 110 travel grants are available for German students who wish to study in the United States.
  • Rotary International scholarships.
  • Funding for United States Study, a book from the Institute of International Education. It is available for sale through
  • The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your region, which will likely have a library that is open to the public. These libraries often contain information on various sources of financial assistance for study in the United States.
  • Study Abroad, which is published every two years by UNESCO. Study Abroad describes all the United Nations and various intergovernmental agency scholarships available. There are over 500 pages of detailed descriptions of scholarships offered by each country of the world, either for its own citizens to study somewhere else, or for people from somewhere else to come and study there. This is followed by information on specific courses of study offered by the universities and institutes of each country, specifically designed for, or available to people from other countries. Study Abroad is available by mail from Unipub, P.O. Box 433, New York NY 10016; (212) 686-4707.