At Temple, you can take full advantage of a robust trial advocacy and clinical program that will give you the tools to hit the ground running when you get hired. Simply put, Temple trains trial lawyers. We offer basic, intensive and advanced programs in both civil and criminal trial advocacy, a variety of specialized litigation courses, and a host of clinical placements so that students have the chance to practice what we teach. Our nationally acclaimed year-long Integrated Trial Advocacy Program (ITAP) gives upper-level students an opportunity to acquire the type of litigation and trial experience that many lawyers cannot gain in a decade.
U.S. News & World Report has ranked Temple’s trial advocacy program in the top two nationally for the past several years. We’ve won awards from the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Association of Defense Counsel, the American Bar Association’s Committee on Professionalism, the American Law Institute, the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and the Roscoe Pound Foundation of the American Association for Justice. Temple Law is also:
- A recipient of the American Bar Association’s E. Smythe Gambrell Professionalism Award for the curriculum design of the Integrated Trial Advocacy Program.
- The only law school whose faculty have been honored by the American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA) with both the Jacobson Award and the Roscoe Pound Award.
- A two-time winner of the American College of Trial Lawyers Emil Gumpert Award for Excellence in Teaching Trial Advocacy.
The National Trial Team
Record of Excellence
- Won the National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Tournament of Champions three years in a row.
- Placed in the top Elite Eight in the NTC national championships a record 15 years in a row, including three national championships and three finalist finishes.
- National Trial Competition Regional Champions 29 out of the last 31 years.
The cornerstone of Temple’s Trial Advocacy Program is the championship mock trial team. Temple’s record in competition is unmatched. In the National Trial Competition-the Super Bowl of Tournaments-we have won 21 consecutive regional titles, three national championships, and an impressive number of tournaments. The team participates in eight to ten national and invitational tournaments per year. Its record and work ethic set the standard of excellence for the trial advocacy program. Trial team members try at least one case during each semester of membership.
Trial team competition teaches students how to meet the practical challenges that courtroom lawyers typically face. In addition to polishing and honing their basic advocacy skills, team members learn how to analyze and master a trial file; take control of a courtroom; discipline hostile and aggressive witnesses; and turn the law of evidence into their ally. Trial team members are chosen through a competitive selection process and earn academic credit for participation in Advanced Evidence and Trial Strategy workshops and for competition participation.
Certificate in Trial Advocacy and Litigation
Grounded in Temple’s ongoing commitment to delivering a legal education that bridges theory and practice, the Certificate in Trial Advocacy and Litigation offers J.D. students a developmental and experiential curriculum, instruction from faculty and seasoned advocates, and live-client clinical experiences.
LL.M. in Trial Advocacy
Designed for the practicing attorney, the LL.M. in Trial Advocacy is the first program of its kind in the country. The year-long program integrates the development of theory and theme, develops confidence in presentation, extemporaneous speech and persuasion in the courtroom, and is an ideal fit for attorneys who aspire to perfect both litigation tactics and courtroom performance.