Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

The LL.M. for Foreign Lawyers in Philadelphia and LL.M. in Beijing are both programs in general studies. With the exception of some required coursework, most courses are elective, and students tailor their studies to their own interests. No specialization is indicated on the degree or transcript.

Students enrolled in the general LL.M. in Philadelphia may simultaneously earn a Certificate in Taxation if they complete at least 12 credits of taxation law course work as part of their LL.M. degree curriculum. This would include the basic three-credit Federal Taxation course (#600) plus nine additional credits of taxation coursework.

Temple also offers the LL.M. in Transnational Law, the LL.M. in Taxation and the LL.M. in Trial Advocacy.

The LL.M. for Foreign Lawyers is a program of general legal studies, with only one required course in Legal Research & Writing; one required class entitled Introduction to the American Legal System; and a one-course advanced writing requirement. Students may select all of the other classes in consultation with their academic advisor. Students may earn degree credits at our campuses in Philadelphia, Tokyo and Rome.

The LL.M. in Transnational Law requires students to take all of their courses in international law.Students may take courses at any Temple campus, but must study outside their home country for at least a summer session. Students should note that the LL.M. in Transnational Law does not contain any U.S. law coursework, and as such will not alone qualify students to take a bar examination in the United States.

In some cases, Temple may permit admitted students to defer admission for one year. If you are admitted but cannot accept our offer, you must submit a request to the Office of Graduate and International Programs for permission to defer. Deferrals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.


LL.M. students in the United States generally have F-1 visas or J-1 student visas. The application process from acceptance to receipt of visa may be from 30 to 90 days. Admitted students should begin the student visa application process without delay to ensure that the student visa will be issued by the Temple LL.M. student report date.

U.S. immigration regulations currently permit F-1 visa students who have been continuously enrolled in Philadelphia for two semesters to apply for post-graduate optional practical training (OPT). The optional practical training permission allows F-1 students to remain in the U.S. for approximately one year to undertake law-related employment. Students with J-1 visa status are not eligible for the post-graduate optional practical training.

Student Life

The spouse or dependents of an F-1 visa student are usually required to enter the United States under F-2 visa status. F-2 spouses and dependents are not eligible for employment in the U.S.under current U.S. immigration regulations.

The spouse or dependents of a J-1 visa student are usually required to enter the United Statesunder J-2 visa status. In some cases, a J-2 spouse or dependent may be eligible to work in theU.S. The J-1 student should consult the Temple University Office of International Services for advice regarding employment permission for a J-2 spouse under current U.S. immigration regulations.


In order to arrange housing, you should plan to arrive by the first week of August. All entering LL.M. students are expected to enroll in the Orientation to U.S. Legal Study Course for newly admitted LL.M. students. This course offers useful information and helps new LL.M. students make the transition to U.S. law school classes.

Only students in the LL.M. in Transnational Law or Taxation Law degree programs may start in the spring or summer. All other international students must start in the fall semester.

To comply with U.S. immigration regulations that require full-time enrollment status, F-1 and J-1 visa students must take at least nine credits per semester. The majority of LL.M. students take approximately 12 credits per semester to complete the degree within two semesters. Students who are permanent U.S. residents (Green Card) or U.S. citizens may request permission to complete the degree on a part-time basis. Most law courses are offered during the day, and a limited number of courses are available at night and during the summer. LL.M. students enrolled on a full-time basis typically take a combination of day and evening classes. There is no correspondence or distance-learning program.


For answers to questions regarding international LL.M. program admissions, please see our Frequently Asked Questions About Admissions for Graduate and International Programs.