Foundations of International Criminal Law (2 credit hours)

Professor Shellenberger

This course introduces issues related to transnational law enforcement (international aspects of national criminal law), international standards of justice, and international criminal law (crimes under international law) as enforced through international criminal tribunals.  Following an overview of the historical and theoretical bases for international criminal law, the course examines extraterritorial jurisdiction (extraterritorial application of American domestic criminal law), extraterritorial application of United States constitutional criminal procedure rights, and the procedures for and practice of investigating transnational crime, obtaining evidence from abroad, and the extradition of criminal defendants.  The course then considers international crimes and international criminal tribunals, from Nuremberg, to the ad hoc tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and for Rwanda, and the permanent International Criminal Court (ICC) and the Rome statute defining the crimes (war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide) over which the ICC has jurisdiction.

International Civil Litigation (2 credit hours)

Professor DeJarnatt

As the world grows ever more interconnected, U.S. lawyers are often encountering legal problems that have an international or cross-border dimension.  This course is designed to introduce students to the skills needed to research common examples of these problems.  The course is a skills course, not an exam course.  The course will introduce the fundamentals of international and comparative law research in the context of a series of problems often faced by U.S. lawyers with primarily domestic practices.  Students will receive feedback on their research and written work product and will have the opportunity to revise their work after the feedback.  Final grades will be based on the portfolio of written work produced by each student.  Topics are likely to include family law, enforcement of judgments, discovery, and other matters common to civil litigation.

Global Legal Perspectives (1 credit hour) – mandatory course

The Global Legal Perspectives will provide students with an introduction – both in and out of the classroom- to international perspectives on law and legal practice. Topics will include an introduction to European Law, overview of the Italian legal profession, and international aspects of tax law. Students will be provided an opportunity to reflect on their personal perspectives on law, including their legal insights from the lived Roman experience. Students will also learn how to conduct themselves as professionals in visits to an Italian law firm and the Italian Bar Association. They will be expected to have business cards in English and Italian and will have opportunities to explore and share their learning and experiences with other legal professionals.

Advising the Multi-National Company on Global Legal issues (2 credit hours) – tentative course offering

Professor Erb

This interactive and participatory course is intended to provide a survey of the types of issues confronting lawyers, and particularly in-house lawyers, who advise multinational corporations on a worldwide basis.  The areas to be discussed include topics that will cross corporate law, tax law, labor and employment law, employee benefits, litigation and corporate compliance.  Real life examples will be used to illustrate the complicated nature yet importance of this type of practice.  Further, in addition to the more substantive legal topics to be covered, the course will also be interspersed with practice tips, jurisdictional practice highlights and ethical considerations for the multinational practitioner.

The success of the course depends highly on each class member coming to class prepared, and more important, on each class member participating in our discussions.  Because of this, class participation will account for 30% of the final grade.  The remaining 70% of a student’s grade will be based on a final paper and presentation (weighted equally).

Foundations of international Criminal Law, International Civil Litigation and Advising the Multi-National Company on Global Legal Issues are each worth 2 credits. Global Legal Perspectives is a mandatory course and is worth 1 credit. Students may enroll in up to 5 credits” Maximum enrollment per course is limited to 35 J.D. students. For questions relating to program grading, please refer to Temple Law’s grading policy. Acceptance of any credit or grade for any course taken in the Program is subject to determination by the student’s home school.