Visa and Work Permit Information

Download Pre-Departure Manual (PDF)

Certificate of Eligibility and Student Visa Information

All non-Japanese students who intend to participate in Temple Law School’s spring semester abroad program and who do not have a residence, diplomatic, dependent, or spousal visa must acquire a Japanese Student Visa through Temple University, Japan Campus (TUJ). Students cannot apply for a Japanese Student Visa independently of TUJ.

Before you can apply for the student visa, you must apply for and obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Japanese government. TUJ will submit COE application documents to the Japanese Immigration Bureau on behalf of all admitted students. COE Application Deadline for spring semester study abroad program is October 1 (Tokyo time). The COE takes about 5-8 weeks to issue. Once you get the Certificate of Eligibility back from Japan, you will receive further instructions from Temple University, Japan Campus.

For more information about obtaining your COE and Japanese student visa, please visit the link below for the “COE and Visa Application Instructions.”

STEP 1: Certificate of Eligibility Application
(To be submitted to Temple Law School Japan)

STEP 2: Student Visa Application
(To be completed after your Certificate of Eligibility is issued, and submitted to your local Japanese Consulate)

STEP 3: Residence Card

When you are coming to Japan on a student visa, you will receive your Residence Card at the airport in Tokyo (Narita and Haneda), Nagoya and Osaka. The card should take an additional few minutes to prepare as part of the other administrative procedures on arrival. The card issued will not have your address printed on it. Within 14 days you must go to your local ward office to complete the “Residence Card” registration.

STEP 4: Work Permit

Permission to work under the resident status may be given at the port of entry to those students who are entering Japan for the first time and who are granted the status “Student”.

Students who have obtained a work permit are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week.  However, please note that Temple Law School regulations restrict full-time law students to working no more than 20 hours per week during the academic year.