Entering Student FAQs

When should I expect my financial aid award package?

We process official financial aid awards upon receipt of the first admissions deposit. Most students can expect to receive official notification of financial aid status within two to three weeks after submitting the first seat deposit. We may require additional information from you in order to complete your financial aid file which can delay your official financial aid award, so please respond to requests for additional information in a timely manner.

If you would like to receive a preliminary financial aid award package before submitting your seat deposit, please contact the Law School Financial Aid Office and request a Preliminary Financial Aid Award letter. Preliminary Financial Aid Award letters can only be done for students who have already completed their FAFSA.

I have been awarded a scholarship by the Admissions Committee. Do I still need to submit the seat deposits?

Yes. The seat deposit is required from all admitted students to confirm your intention to attend Temple Law School and hold your place in the incoming class. Your scholarship can not be used to pay the seat deposits.

How do I apply for a merit-based scholarship?

The Admissions Committee considers all admitted students for merit-based scholarships at the time of their admission to the law school and merit-based scholarship awards are mailed with the admission letter. No application is required to be considered for an admissions merit scholarship.

Information on scholarships, including those which require a separate application, is available by clicking here. Students who have a commitment to working in the public interest may apply for the Rubin-Presser Social Justice Fellowship.

In addition to these admissions scholarships, the law school awards numerous scholarships to students during the academic year. Many of the scholarships require that students meet specific criteria such as academic performance, specific organization membership, areas of interest, state of residence, or financial need. Most of the scholarships do not require a separate application.

The Law School Financial Aid Office also maintains a listing of outside scholarship sources. This listing is updated periodically and all students are encouraged to apply for outside scholarships.

More FAQs

How do I apply for financial aid?

To get started, you need to file both the Temple Law School Incoming Student Financial Aid Application and the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA). The Temple Law School Financial Aid Application can be filed online once it becomes available each January. The FAFSA can also be filed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov using our school code 003371.

Incoming students should file their FAFSA by the priority deadline of March 1st of the year they plan to enroll at the law school. The Temple Law School Incoming Student Financial Aid Application should be submitted no later than your first admissions deposit deadline.

If you intend to apply for loans, you will also need to complete the loan application process.  More information on the steps you need to complete to receive a loan are available on the Financial Aid page of the Law School website. There is no deadline to apply for loans and you may apply for a loan at any time during the academic year.  However, in order to insure that your funds are available by the start of classes you should complete the loan application process by the end of July.

Should I complete the FAFSA form if I have not filed my tax return yet?

Although it may be easier to complete the FAFSA form is you have already filed your taxes, you should not wait to submit the FAFSA if your taxes will not be done by March 1st.

When completing the FAFSA you may use estimated tax figures and indicate you “Will File” your tax return on the FAFSA. You will then need to submit your tax return to our office after it is filed. If you are not planning to file a tax return, you should indicate that you “Will Not File” your tax return on the FAFSA and submit a written statement to the Law School Financial Aid Office explaining what financial sources you used to pay your living expenses during the previous year.

Do I need to provide my parents information for financial aid?

Temple Law School does not require our students to provide their parents’ financial information because all of our students are considered independent for financial aid purposes. You may be required to provide parental information on the FAFSA if other schools you are applying to require you to do so. However, if you do provide your parents information on the FAFSA, Temple will not use the information when determining your eligibility for financial aid.

Are evening students eligible for financial aid?

Yes, students enrolled in the evening division are eligible for the same types of financial aid as day division students.

The FAFSA is requesting information about my income from the previous year. I made more money last year than I plan to make this year, how do I account for that on the FAFSA?

You should still complete the FAFSA form using the financial information from the previous year as requested on the FAFSA. If your previous year’s earnings are significantly higher than your earnings from the current year, you should contact our office to complete an Income Reduction Form. The Income Reduction Form allows the financial aid office to use the current year’s earnings to determine your eligibility for need-based financial aid, which may or may not affect your eligibility for certain types of aid.

My Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the FAFSA is more than I can afford to pay. What should I do?

The EFC is a figure which is calculated by the federal processor based on the financial information you provided on the FASFA. The EFC is used to help schools determine your financial need and eligibility for need-based financial aid. You are not expected to pay the school the amount indicated for EFC or to be able to contribute that amount towards your law school costs.

If my FAFSA was processed, does that mean I have been approved for a loan?

The FAFSA is not a loan application, it is the federal government’s need analysis form and is used to help us determine your eligibility for need-based financial aid.  Although the FAFSA is required to qualify for federal loans, the FAFSA alone does not approve you for a loan.  In order to borrow a federal Direct Stafford Loan, you will need to complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) on the Direct Loan website: www.studentloans.gov. Additional loan documents are required if you also borrow a federal Grad Plus loan.

More information on the different types of loans and the application process can be on the Federal and Private Loans page of the Law School website.

Is it true that I will not qualify for loans if I earn too much money?

No. You can only be denied a Federal Direct Stafford loan if you do not meet the citizenship requirements for federal funding, if you are currently in default on a previous federal student loan, or if you have already borrowed $138,500 from the federal Direct Stafford Loan program.

What can I do if I am experiencing short-term financial difficulties?

There are emergency loans available for students who are experiencing temporary financial difficulties. Students may borrow up to $1,000 in an interest free loan. The student must demonstrate that they are able to re-pay the loan within eight weeks and a charge will be added to the student’s tuition account in the amount of the loan. Incoming students may not apply for an emergency loan until they are officially matriculated in the law school and in most cases, a student may not borrow an emergency loan to cover the cost of their books. Students in need of an emergency loan should come to the Law School Financial Aid Office, Barrack 101.

Temple Law Financial Aid