Student Loans

If you are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or have been granted political asylum and are interested in securing student loans through Temple, you may be eligible to borrow federal student loans through the U.S. Department of Education.

Students who need to be certified by the University to obtain federal or state loans, or to qualify for deferment of payment on prior loans, may be required to register for a minimum number of credit hours per semester.

Learn more about Federal & Private Student Loans »

All applicants for financial aid must submit a FAFSA form and complete the online LL.M. Financial Aid Application. Students can apply for the federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans and/or the federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan online at Refer to the Financial Aid Information Sheets below for more details.

For information regarding financial assistance, please call the Law School Financial Aid Office at (215) 204-8943 or e-mail at

Students who do not meet the citizenship requirement to receive federal student loans can apply for a private educational loan. Many private educational loan lenders provide loans to foreign students with credit worthy co-signers who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens. Information on private loans for international students is available on websites such as or

Students may also contact the Law School Financial Aid Office at 215-204-8943 or e-mail at for additional information.


Public Interest Scholarships for LL.M. in Trial Advocacy Students

A number of partial scholarships to the LL.M. in Trial Advocacy Program are awarded each year to attorneys practicing in public interest settings. Awards are applied in equal amounts in the fall and spring semester. Scholarship awards are dependent on class size and the number of applicants and finalized in late spring. Public Interest Scholarship applications are submitted as part of the online application process for the program.

International Student Scholarships

Temple Law provides some scholarships to LL.M. students on the basis of need and academic merit. Such financial aid is awarded only in the form of a limited number of partial tuition waivers and cannot be used to cover living expenses. U.S. immigration regulations limit the scope and number of hours a foreign citizen on a student visa may work, so it is not possible for international students to earn enough to support oneself while studying.

All decisions for financial aid are made after the March 15 application deadline, allowing the Admissions Committee to assess the relative strengths of each applicant. Students interested in applying for one of these partial-tuition scholarships should complete the Application for Financial Aid as part of their LL.M. application and include in their application a one-page statement with their applications explaining the basis for the request.

International students are advised to write to various employers, government agencies, foundations, and organizations within their own country to inquire whether any scholarship or grant aid is available for studying outside of their country. To assist in your search, visit our Scholarships and Grants pages.

International LL.M. Student Financial Aid

Temple Law has limited funding for international LL.M. student financial aid. Aid is awarded to international LL.M. students on a competitive basis with consideration given to each applicant’s prior academic performance and stated financial need.

In a typical year, our funds permit us to offer assistance in the form of partial tuition scholarships to four or five international LL.M. students. These partial scholarships usually amount to less than one-half of the annual LL.M. tuition rate. While our restricted funding does not permit us to offer assistance to every deserving applicant, Temple’s LL.M. tuition is extremely competitive when compared to the tuition at many other law schools.

A limited amount of financial aid is also available to cover part of the cost of tuition for some students in the LL.M. in Beijing, China program. Aid is awarded based on academic merit and need, and will be determined at the same time decisions are made on admissions.

No financial aid may be used to cover living expenses.

Fellowships and Grants for International Students

International students who require financial assistance should investigate alternative sources of financial support and should begin this process at least one year before applying to the LL.M. program. To assist in your search, we recommend the following resources:

  • Fulbright Fellowships from the U.S. Information Agency
  • Rotary International scholarships
  • Funding for United States Study, a book from the Institute of International Education.
  • The International Education Financial Aid web site.
  • The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your region, which will likely have a library that is open to the public. These libraries often contain information on various sources of financial assistance for study in the United States.
  • Study Abroad, which is published every two years by UNESCO. Study Abroad describes all the United Nations and various intergovernmental agency scholarships available. There are over 500 pages of detailed descriptions of scholarships offered by each country of the world, either for its own citizens to study somewhere else, or for people from somewhere else to come and study there. This is followed by information on specific courses of study offered by the universities and institutes of each country, specifically designed for, or available to people from other countries. Study Abroad is available by mail from Unipub, P.O. Box 433, New York NY 10016; (212) 686-4707.

Temple Law Financial Aid