What is a Practicum?
A practicum course offers students an opportunity to earn 2 or 3 credits in connection with an unpaid experiential opportunity. In a practicum course, students will:
- Engage in a project for a real client under the supervision of an on-site practicing attorney or supervisor and a full-time faculty member.
- Organize, sequence and reflect on their learning through biweekly meetings with a full-time faculty member.
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of experiential work each week (not including travel time) for a 3 credit Practicum OR 6.5 hours of experiential work each week (not including travel time) for a 2 credit Practicum each week for 14 weeks.
- Submit weekly emails to the full-time faculty member that include hours completed, a description of all work, and a self-evaluation of any work completed.
To register for a Practicum:
Before registering, students must obtain approval from Dean Ramji-Nogales if:
- you are interested in engaging in an independent placement (i.e. not a School-Designed Practicum) or
- you have previously worked (either volunteer, for credit or paid) in a prior summer or academic semester at the practicum placement or
- the placement is at a for-profit entity.
In order to register for an independent, for-profit or repeat practicum placement, students must complete this form and email it to Dean Ramji-Nogales (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 12 PM on Thursday, December 20, 2018
All students who wish to register for a practicum must submit the completed Practicum Agreement before 12 PM on Friday, January 4, 2019 to Ms. Kathy Wilson at email@example.com. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all signatures and approvals are obtained before the registration deadline.