What is a Practicum?
A practicum course offers students an opportunity to earn 2 or 3 credits in connection with an unpaid experiential opportunity. In a practicum course, students will:
- Engage in a project for a real client under the supervision of an on-site practicing attorney or supervisor and a full-time faculty member.
- Organize, sequence and reflect on their learning through periodic meetings with the full-time faculty member and attendance at four classroom sessions. The Spring 2018 classes will be on the following Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m: 1/19, 2/16, 3/16, and 4/13.
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of experiential work each week (not including travel time) for a 3 credit Practicum OR 6.5 hours of experiential work each week (not including travel time) for a 2 credit Practicum each week for 14 weeks.
- Submit weekly emails to the full-time faculty member that include hours completed, a description of all work, and a self-evaluation of any work completed.
To register for Guided Research or a Practicum:
- FOR PROFIT PLACEMENTS ONLY: Email Professor Rob Bartow (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain approval for “for-profit” placements. Students should include the following information in the email: the name of the placement, the expected assignments, the attorney supervision structure at the placement, a resume, an unofficial transcript, a statement about why the placement will advance your educational goals, and a notation about whether you have worked at the placement before.
- Contact a full-time faculty member to discuss your proposed practicum and seek faculty supervision for the project.
- Once you have agreement from the full-time faculty supervisor please take the following steps to complete the Practicum Approval Form. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain all necessary signatures and return the form to via email to Ms. Kathy Wilson in Student Services (email@example.com) for registration. Students need 3 signatures (student, field placement supervisor and full-time faculty member). Please note that signees can type their name in lieu of a signature and that the form can be sent via email. Students should take the following specific steps:
- Obtain the Practicum Approval Form, read the form, and type your name or sign the form. (Please note that this form contains information regarding the standards and rules for practicums.)
- Send the Practicum Approval Form via email to the appropriate supervisor at the placement. Request that the supervisor sign or type his, her, or their name on the Practicum Approval Form and return it to you.
- Send the signed Practicum Approval Form via email to the full-time faculty member who is providing faculty supervision for the practicum. Request that the faculty member sign or type his, her, or their name on the Practicum Approval Form and return it to you.
- After obtaining all necessary signatures (or typed names) please send the completed Practicum Approval Form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in Student Services. Registration will occur after the completed Practicum Approval Form is received.
- If you have any questions about the practicum course or registration please contact Assistant Dean for Students Jennifer Bretschneider at email@example.com.